The Guidance Department provides a variety of programs and services to students and parents. Our goal to help our students academically, socially, and emotionally.
We believe that all students can learn and grow physically, intellectually, emotionally, socially, and also develop a strong sense of moral responsibility. All students in Phoenix Middle School have the right to receive school counseling services and discuss unique needs. We will serve as a liaison between students, parents and, when necessary, teachers to maximize student success.
• Emotional development, like academic development, is essential.
• Children's feelings directly affect their behavior. Therefore, helping students identify and understand their feelings will lead to better choices.
• Children need to be heard, and have relationships with adults who talk with them and not at them.
• Counselors are never disciplinarians so students can consider the counselor's office a safe place. Our role is not to solve students' problems, but to give them the necessary tools to solve their own problems.
Phoenix provides individual and small group counseling to any middle school student. Counseling can focus on any of the following: academics, social & peer issues, good decision making, family situations and any other area where a child needs support. Students can make appointments to come see a counselor when needed. Parents and guardians can also request that their child been seen by a counselor. Please feel free to contact via phone or email at anytime.
The purpose of this awareness is to change the school climate, prevent and understand bullying behaviors, as well as foster a sense of community for our school. Please see some of the topics that will be covered below throughout the year.
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Building a Positive Classroom Climate
- Bullying Scenarios
- Identifying Feelings
- Role-play Scenarios
- Peer Relationships
- Respecting Differences
- Promoting Acceptance of Others