We're delighted that you're interested in applying to Phoenix.
Phoenix Middle School houses approximately 85 seventh graders and 80 eighth graders, and is staffed by 18 full-time teachers and support staff. Our school is based upon the integration of core curriculum with critical thinking, global education, arts, wellness, and community interaction. This is achieved through collaboration among the staff members, who work extensively to combine, streamline, and enhance traditional middle school curriculum to make each student's educational experience as meaningful as possible.
How to Apply:
Review the Phoenix Website
Attend Information Meetings
It is imperative that prospective students and families understand the many aspects of the Phoenix program before they
Informational meetings for the 2019 / 2020 school year were scheduled for:
|Complete and Submit the Application
To apply to be a Phoenix 7th grader for the 2019-2020 school year, parents/students must complete the online
The Lottery Process
- The Phoenix Middle School lottery is conducted at the district level; not the school. All questions about the lottery process should be referred to Jeanne Prest, Administrative Assistant to Neil Gupta, Director of Secondary Education, at 614-450-6015.
- Students will be drawn from the lottery by neighborhood schools. To be eligible, students must be residents in the Worthington School district when school begins Fall 2019. The lottery will be live-streamed. Students are NOT required to be present at the lottery on drawing day to be eligible for a spot.
The McCord MS attendance area students (44 students) will be pulled from the lottery from 10:00 AM-10:30 AM; Kilbourne MS students (20 students) from 10:40 AM-11:00 AM; Worthingway MS students (20 students) from 11:10 AM - 11:30 AM
7th Grade Wait List Practices
- Students not selected in the lottery will be placed on a wait list by home middle school. If a student who is selected in the lottery declines the spot, students from the waitlist will be contacted and offered spaces until all are filled.
- Wait list calls will be placed based on home school. If a student declines, the next student on the wait list will be contacted.
- If the wait list for a single middle school is exhausted, enrollment numbers from the other two middle schools will determine the next waitlist.
- Students remaining on the wait list will remain on the list through their 8th grade year.
8th Grade Wait List Practices
- Phoenix staff will begin to contact the 8th grade wait list once enrollment numbers for the class go below 80 students.
- The first waitlist that will be contacted is the home middle school of the student leaving. If a student accepts a position, the process will stop.
- If all members from the home middle school wait list have declined, Phoenix enrollment numbers from the other two middle schools will determine the next waitlist.
- Due to our unique schedule, we allow current Phoenix families with a student who is currently enrolled at Phoenix as a 7th grader (moving to 8th grade) to have automatic admittance for an incoming 7th grade sibling. [Please Note: Even if a 6th grader has a sibling who is currently enrolled as a Phoenix 7th grader, they MUST complete and submit an application. Students without applications WILL NOT be entered in the lottery, regardless of whether their sibling is in the current Phoenix 7th grade class].
- Families with multiple students in the same grade and in the same household (ex. twins, steps) can submit a separate application for each student. In the case that a student from that household is selected, offers will be extended to each additional student for the upcoming school year but each additional student will not take any seats away from other students in the lottery.
- All seventh graders attending Phoenix in the 7th grade will automatically matriculate into the eighth grade class.
- The children of Phoenix staff can be added to the new class after an application is submitted. The Phoenix staff’s students do not take any seats away from other students in the lottery.
- After the lottery has been completed and we have our new 7th grade class, we will host the new students at Phoenix MS for an Orientation/Open House morning of Friday, May 17, 2019. Parents will need to provide transportation to and from Phoenix that morning. More information will be provided to students who are selected.
- We will also hold a New Parent Orientation on Wednesday, May 15 at 6:30 pm. More information will be provided in the future.
We look forward to meeting you and your 6th grade students during our recruitment process this spring!
The Phoenix Middle School Staff